Grace United Methodist Church
Love God. Love Others. Serve the Kingdom.
As early as 1849, a group of people of the Methodist faith worshipped together in a log cabin near the Keg Creek Bridge in Glenwood. In 1853, the first Methodist Chruch Society was organized, but the first actual church was built in 1856 at the corner of Third and Walnut Streets.
A brick church, which later became the Dean Hotel located just south of the present church, was built in 1873. Th building was dedicated in 1874 and served as a house of worship until 1906. The present sanctuary and fellowship hall was built in 1905. In 1961 the Administrative Board approved the building of a new educational wing to the west of the church. Because Christian education is important to us, the position of Director of Christian Education was created in 1989.
Improvements to the building over the years have been many: new heating and air conditioning; elevator; new computers; new roof; remodeled sanctuary with new pews, organ, sound system, electrical wiring, cry room and carpet. The Dean Hotel was purchased and demolished to make room for much needed parking. In 2006 the lot to the north of the church was purchased and finally, in 2012 a remodel of the kitchen and Fellowship Hall was completed.